On October 10, 2010 I embark on a 2 month trip to Beijing to open up THE FIRST Gap store in China. I will be part of the Beijing team in Chaobei Joy City, a large scale regional shopping center. By the end of 2010 there we will have 4 Gaps opened, 2 in Beijing and 2 in Shanghai.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 2 - Oct 10


This morning I met up with both my co-workers-Joanne from Seattle and Jim from Harrisburg, PA- for breakfast (we get a free continental breakfast every morning) and we caught up and chatted for a while.

Then we decided to go exploring around the city.
We took a shuttle bus to Wang Fu Jing, which reminds me a lot of Time Square.
The fog was so bad again that we couldn't tell what time of day it was, which really messes with you. It rained all night which sucked, but I heard the sky clears up the day after it rains so I am happy about that.

We stumbled upon the Gap APM store and got super excited and took a million pictures with it.



We wandered and wandered around some alleyways that looked like any U.S. Chinatown and I wanted to buy everything! I love all that cutesy junk.

We found the stand that sells bugs on a stick. I am still planning on trying it, I'm just waiting for someone to do it with me.
The surprising thing is that the scorpions are still alive and moving! on the stick. That's what I call fresh.

Then we wandered a little further down from stand and BAM! there it was... a penny smashing machine! Three of them!
Look how interested in them I am

They tried to tell me I would find one, but they were. They do theirs a little different. You put in 2 yuans and there is already a blank "penny" in the machine. I like this way better bc the pennies are all shiny and smooth.
Joanne with her pennies (she collects them too!!!)

We finally had lunch at a place called Gourmet Alley which had a cafeteria-ish style set up. You had to purchase a food card with a certain amount of money on it to buy the foods at various different stalls.

This was our first real meal in China. We ended up spending the equivalent of $6 each!


After eating Joanne and I went to use the bathrooms and the stalls were all squats...
WITH NO DOORS!
Needless to say, I held it.

After taking shelter from the rain in the APM we ended up cabbing it to a local Wal-Mart.
They were selling whole crabs. They looked so cool all bundled up in blue rope, like little presents.
I ended up buying a little plant for my apartment so it would feel more "homey".
I will call him Little Tree Rock for the time being.

We called it a night kinda early since we are still suffering from jet lag and came back early and explored the apartment/hotel.
We found a 24 hour gym, a juice bar, pool table, ping-pong table, conference rooms, and supposedly there is a sauna and jacuzzi but we could not find it.

Other things I notice that I thought were cool:
* The turn style doors here are huge and fit 3 people at a time. Some have decorative vases inside. They are also energy saving so they will stop rotating when no one is in it and start up once you step inside it.
* The escalators in the mall are weight sensitive-thus saving energy when not in use.
* Drivers here, though crazy, are really impressive drivers. Everything seems so fluid in a way and when they stop you barely feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment